Geriatric Therapy Services
I spent my first 10 years in mental health services in various settings including residential psychiatric treatment, outpatient services, Rule 29 clinic and group homes with emotionally and/or behaviorally disturbed adolescents and with families. When I joined the Associated Clinic of Psychology in 1990, I was asked to begin providing services in long term care facilities, which was something I had never considered. I agreed to give it a try and quickly discovered that I really enjoyed serving residents in nursing homes. I have very much enjoyed providing services to residents of long term care facilities. Working with ACP, I feel that I have been able to make a difference in the quality of life of residents in nursing homes and board and care facilities. It’s a privilege to serve this unique population.
My working approach is informed by cognitive-behavioral therapy, ecological psychology and the Gestalt approach. My general philosophy is borrowed from the observation of Kurt Lewin that B=ƒ(P,E) or “behavior is a function of the person within their environment.” This approach can include working directly with residents from a counseling perspective, working with the facility staff to use effective behavior management approaches, program development to change the environment to promote more healthful functioning, education for families, training for caregivers, consultation with the care team, organizational development, coordination of care strategies between providers, sitting on oversight committees (Minimum Effective Dose, Quality Assurance, Ethics, etc.).
To expand and improve our care options for clients, ACP offers Telehealth (phone or video) appointments. Telehealth uses phone or video conferencing to connect you with highly qualified and experienced providers in real-time from the comfort and convenience of your own home or office. Before your telehealth appointment, you will receive details for how you will connect with your provider. If you will be connecting via phone, the provider will plan to call you at your scheduled appointment time. Please be ready to take the call and also check that your phone allows calls from blocked numbers (accessible within your phone settings). If you will be connecting via video conference, your provider will email you an invite to join the appointment. Please call our office to learn more about ACP’s telehealth services and to schedule an appointment.
Areas of Specialty
- Counseling and psychotherapy for residents of long-term care facilities
- Cognitive screening
- Behavioral management
- Specialty care unit programming development
- Consultation with primary care providers and specialists
- Training and education for long-term care facilities
- Long-term care facility consultation and organizational development
- Presentations to the general public and professionals
Licensures / Titles
- Licensed Psychologist (LP)
- Mental Health Professional
- Master’s Degree, Human Development (MA) – St. Mary’s University
- Bachelor’s Degree, Human Development (BA) – St. Mary’s University
- Gestalt Institute of the Twin Cities, Postgraduate Intensive Training Program
- Gestalt Institute of the Twin Cities, Advanced Training Program
- Ongoing training in geropsychology, psychopharmacology, serious and persistent mental illnesses, mood disorders